[IronPython] Which modules collection to use?

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Sat Jan 22 02:24:27 CET 2011

Daniel wrote:

> Pulled src from github. The devel set up instructions
> (http://ironpython.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Respository%20Instructions)
> and all the script magic already in place is just great as things compile and run.
> Very cool.
>
> However, need help figuring some things out, please:
> 1. Neither the release, nor the debug deployment copies the standard module
> files into Lib. Is there magic in place for that already, like a project file that has
> the deployment paths spelled out?

We have a copy of the std lib in External.LCA_RESTRICTED\Languages\IronPython\27\Lib.
I generally just set IRONPYTHONPATH at that directory which is much better than
copying it on every build.  For releases the MSI builder will pick it up out
External.LCA_RESTRICTED\Languages\CPython\27\Lib.  The difference between those
two directories is the tests - the IronPython dir has various changes to disable failing
tests, occasionally adds some extra tests, etc...

The 2 dirs are also useful for doing 3 way merges when updating the standard library.
That way you know what the last version we pulled was.

> 2. There are two copies of modules sets. One in cPython/Lib, there other is in
> IronPython/27/Lib. The answer is probably obvious, but which set of modules do
> I need to copy?

[conveniently answered above]

> 3. Before I found the bundled module collections, I tried modules from
> "2.7.1 (r271:86832, Nov 27 2010, 18:30:46) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)]" and saw
> code in modules blowing up left and right. It's obvious that the modules
> collection in IronLanguages is stale, but i wonder how stale it is... Are they from
> 2.5/2.6 time? If the next IPY release is "2.7" do we need to go and update the
> modules bundled with 2.7?

These are all from the 2.7 timeframe and should be from 2.7.0 at the very
earliest.   If you windiff the CPython lib dir w/ your 2.7.1 install Lib dir you
should be able to see the differences.  I'm surprised that things are blowing
up - maybe there's some site packages breaking things in your install?