[IronPython] Working towards IronPython 2.7 RTM

Slide slide.o.mix at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 06:27:28 CET 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Jeff Hardy <jdhardy at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've been thinking about what we need to do to get IronPython 2.7 to
> RTM status, and the biggest stumbling block I have is that I don't
> really know what people think of Beta 1. Most of the issues with B1
> specifically are related to the installer and should be easy enough to
> fix. There are lots of open issues, but many of them have already been
> fixed in previous releases (and a HUGE shout-out to Richard for his
> work triaging those) and many of those that haven't are pretty tough
> to crack. However, there is still some low-hanging fruit that could be
> dealt with even by those who aren't familiar to the project..
>
> What do people need to get started contributing? Would a list of
> "easy" bugs help? Is anyone not comfortable coding interested in doing
> documentation? What about working on triaging bugs - much of which is
> just writing/running test cases and determining if the bug even still
> exists? Would having a bug sprint day/weekend/week interest anyone?
> Any other ideas?
>
> The big problem is that we don't have any CI infrastructure set up to
> run the tests and make we haven't broken anything. Honestly, I don't
> know what we're going to about that.
>
> I'll take care of the installer and its associated issues. I'm also
> willing to manage the whole release process. There are still a bunch
> of things that need to be sorted out, but I think it's been too long
> since IronPython had a release.
>
> We're going to need at least one more beta/RC before release. I'd like
> to tentatively aim for a mid-February release for that, and a
> late-Feb/early-March release of 2.7 final.
>
> - Jeff
>
> P.S. To make this easier, please vote on
> http://codeplex.codeplex.com/workitem/25398. Thanks!

For continuous integration, I prefer Hudson (soon to be Jenkins), but I
can't find any hosted instances anywhere that might accept an open source
project like IronPython. I did find CodeBetter (
http://teamcity.codebetter.com/) which DOES accept open source projects. It
looks like they support Git, and MSBuild projects, so it might be a good
fit. It would be nice though to have Linux build hosts that could keep track
of failures when building on Linux with Mono as well as the Windows build
hosts. Does the Python Foundation have anything that be usable?

Thanks,

slide

--
slide-o-blog