[IronPython] Embedding IPython Shell into IronPython

Dave Wald davew252 at tx.rr.com
Tue Feb 15 15:31:29 CET 2011

Federico,
No problem. Enjoyed working on it. Now, the even better news.
PyReadline HAS BEEN ported to IronPython!  ;-)
http://ironpython-urls.blogspot.com/2006/11/pyreadline-for-ironpython.html
So IPython could very likely be made fully functional... with a bit of work.
 From what I gather so far, you may still have to compile your own
version of IronPython as per the discussion therein, but, I just need to
get some more time to play with this.
I got side-tracked over the weekend um, 'reflecting' on what the
internals of Sho might look like, if you could see them, if you get my
drift... since the engine source code is not available... It seems the
EmbeddedSho class always starts up a new PythoneEngine regardless, and
they hardcode the references to version 2.6.2, I believe...
So, that'll take a bit of fiddling to embed it. Hope to get back on that
this weekend.
Also, spent a lot of time re-learning Ruby and messing with Cucumber -
need to try and get some kind of BDD acceptance-criteria testing
automation thing going as simply as possible, but looks like Cucumber
only works (best) with Rails. Again - so much to learn, so little time...
BTW, it looks to me like IronRuby has made GREAT strides in the last
couple years. Excellent work guys!!! Thanks!
That's about it for now. I really do like IPython. I want to get that
going, with the PyReadline support. Soon... very soon...  ;-)
Dave