[Ironpython-users] ImportError: No module named codecs

Markus Schaber m.schaber at 3s-software.com
Tue Aug 2 08:11:04 CEST 2011

Hi, John,

Von: John Gietzen

> I'm trying to compile Pygments to be called from a C# library, but I've come accross a few hurdles.

> The first was an issue with function calls with more that 13 arguments throwing an error stating that the compiler is "Unable to make a reference to a transient module from a non-transient module."  See: http://ironpython.codeplex.com/workitem/31125
> There is a previous issue saying that it was fixed in 2.7.1b1, but it still fails with the 150 argument call that is present in Pygments.

150 arguments? That seems far from sane for me, but the Pygments people seem to have a reason for it, I hope. :-)

Maybe you can pack all those arguments into a tuple, effectively changing the call into a 1-argument call?

Caller site:
Change "result = function(a,b,c,d) into result = function((a,b,c,d))"

Calee site:
Change "def function(a,b,c,d):" to "def function(tuple):" \n "    a,b,c,d = tuple"

> Now, I've run into a brick wall.  I cannot get IronPython to import the `codecs` module, no matter what I try.  Using reflector, I can see that a class the module exists in "IronPython.Modules", nut there doesn't seem to be a `[assembly: PythonModule]` attribute for it.

As far as I can see, that class implements the _codecs module. The "codecs" module is a pure python module.

> Even in the interactive console when I try to simply execute `import codecs` I get a message saying "ImportError: No module named codecs".

I can open the codec module just fine from the interactive console, in both 2.7.1b2 and 2.6.0.

> I have noticed that there is a "_codecs" module, but it does not have e.g the `open` method.

The design is the same than in cPython: codecs.py is a high level module written in pure python, and it uses a low level native module _codecs internally. _codecs is a C-written Library in cPython (.dll or .so), while it is a C# class providing the same interface in IronPython. This allows IronPython to reuse the pure python part of the standard library.

> What am I doing wrong?

Maybe your search path (sys.path) does not include the directory where the python standard library was installed? Or you did not install it at all?

For me, it was installed by the IronPython installer.

Best regards

Markus Schaber

We software Automation.

3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
Markus Schaber | Developer
Memminger Str. 151 | 87439 Kempten | Germany | Tel. +49-831-54031-0 | Fax +49-831-54031-50

Email: m.schaber at 3s-software.com | Web: http://www.3s-software.com
CoDeSys internet forum: http://forum.3s-software.com
Download CoDeSys sample projects: http://www.3s-software.com/index.shtml?sample_projects

Managing Directors: Dipl.Inf. Dieter Hess, Dipl.Inf. Manfred Werner | Trade register: Kempten HRB 6186 | Tax ID No.: DE 167014915