[IronPython] IronPython for Silverlight 5?

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 14 19:03:21 CEST 2011

Jeff wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 11:14 PM, Chad Brockman <chadbr at slb.com>
> wrote:
> > I see Silverlight 5 now has something besides simple reflection
> > (ICustomTypeProvider) -
> >
> > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg986857(v=VS.96).aspx#data
> >
> > Will we see an update to Iron*/DLR to support binding to dynamic
> > objects any time soon? This will open fantastic options for using
> > IronPython in Silverlight.
>
> If someone provides a patch, yes.
>
> We actually need someone with an interest in Silverlight to keep an eye on it
> and make sure that we don't break SL support and new features like this. We
> don't have anyone in that role right now.

If anyone's interested on working on this it'd probably mean adding an implementation
of this onto OldInstance as well as adding it onto our new-style instances whose
classes are created by NewTypeMaker.  Adding the interface is probably pretty easy,
making it return useful things may be a little more difficult.

I'm a little surprised they didn't go with the already existing ICustomTypeDescriptor.