[IronPython] Writing cross-language libraries that appear native

Markus Schaber m.schaber at 3s-software.com
Tue Apr 5 09:05:14 CEST 2011

Hi, Doug,

I it won't be possible to make it "feel naturally" with every language, simply because the languages have very different naming conventions (C# mandates CamelCase, Python prefers words_with_underscores, ...) and programming paradigms.

But on the other hand, you should keep in mind that .NET was designed as a multi-paradigm environment, and that all those Languages were implemented with this in mind.

Most of the dynamic languages have very clever parameter resolution and automatic casting mechanisms implemented, as they offer easy access to the whole .NET standard library - this will automatically apply to your interface, too. E. G. any python list and tuple can be passed to a function taking a IEnumerable<Foo>, python will create an auto-casting enumerator, and will throw when the sequence contains elements not compatible to Foo.

Nevertheless, my concrete points of advice are:

- I think the most important thing is that you make a simple, clearly structured API.

- Be generous but exact in what you accept. For example if you need a sequence of Foo as parameter, accept IEnumerable<Foo>.
  * No need to use IEnumerable and cast yourself - more Code to type, the dynamic language binding will auto-cast for you, and the statically typed languages like C# and F# profit from the stricter declaration.
  * Accepting IList<Foo> or ICollection<Foo> is too strict for the main method, but if your algorithm can profit from indexing or knowing the size, you may provide them as optimized overloads.

- Adhere to the coding standards / naming conventions in the language you use to implement.

- Take care that all your functionality is exposed in CLS conformant ways. (IMHO, it is okay to provide optimized non-CLS conformant alternative ways of access. One example is that you should provide access methods for all overloaded operators. Browse the Web and MSDN for CLS conformance, you'll find lots of guidelines.)

- After drafting your interface (or implementing the first alpha), ask users of the target languages for their advice, or implement a test application in all of the languages.

(I personally don't have any experience with IronRuby, and simply assumed that they use similar mechanisms like IronPython, so take my advice with a grain of salt.)
Regards,
Markus