[IronPython] difference in compiling ipy in 3.5 vs. .NET 4.0?

Ken MacDonald drken567 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 19:43:50 CEST 2010

We're trying to get a WPF/IPY project converted from .NET 3.5 to 4.0 using
IPY 2.6 for .NET 4.0. I got it running fine yesterday using IPY
interactively:

ipy etms.py

bring up all dialogs, connects to DB, works great.

but I try to compile it into an executable using the 'pyc.py' tool:

C:\hs\tally\etms>ipy.exe "c:\Program Files (x86)\IronPython 2.6 for .NET
4.0\Tools\Scripts\pyc.py" /main:etms.py /platform:x86 /target:winexe etms.py
main_window.py model.py presenter.py wpf_helpers.py pyevent.py dialogs.py
login.py kitchen_ticket.py hs_quantity.py hssecdll.py debug_settings.py
version_info.py

and it completes 'successfully' but then if I attempt to run it, the command
prompt returns immediately and not even the login dialog appears. There are
no error messages, or indications of a problem. This worked fine (with path
changes to reference 3.5) in .NET 3.5, but is now a mystery. I've tried a
variety of pyc.py flags that seemed possibly relevant, but nothing makes it
work. Suggestions for what this could be appreciated.
Ken