[IronPython] Debugging IronPython 2.6 memory issues

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 17 18:18:01 CEST 2010

I think using windbg as suggested there is still a useful tactic.  The script that looks into Python objects won't work but looking at !DumpHeap results can still be pretty useful.  One easy way to improve this is to use pre-compiled subclasses.  An example of that is over in this thread: http://www.mail-archive.com/users@lists.ironpython.com/msg10381.html  Once you have the DLL produced you can clr.AddReference() it or put it in the IronPython DLLs directory.  That will cause the types to not show up as "UnloadedType" and instead will show up w/ a little more descriptive of a name which includes the base type name.

You can also use CLRProfiler which is pretty useful in that it'll show you charts of where the memory is being kept alive.