[IronPython] The Future of IronPython

Tony Meyer tony.meyer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 07:01:33 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 22, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Jonathan Allen <grauenwolf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any important features missing from the DLR?

I would say that the issue is more that if something arose in the
future (e.g. when implementing IronPython 3 or as some sort of
IronPython-specific enhancement) that needed DLR changes, that would
previously have been (I assume) possible, and is now (again, I assume)
difficult.

I would guess that this puts IronPython in a similar situation (in
this respect) to Jython (although since Java is open-source, I suppose
there is the possibility of pushing upstream there).  I don't know
enough about the way that IronPython and the DLR interact to know how
likely it is that changes like this would be needed.  There doesn't
seem to be a CPython equivalent, unless you consider that CPython is
unable to change the instruction sets that the CPython interpreter
runs on (which is stretching the similarity really).

Cheers,
Tony