[IronPython] cannot access protected member GaugeContainer1 without a python subclass of default_aspx

Kurt A. Richardson kurt at kurtrichardson.com
Wed Oct 20 20:45:20 CEST 2010

Hi List

I have a (relatively) simple webpage that enables me to display some
basic data from my TED5000 energy monitor, as well as switch a fan on
and off in my offer utilizing an XBee network.  I'm sure everything
worked just fine for months and now suddenly the project will not compile.

The Default.aspx webpage includes a Dundas GaugeContainer component
instantiated as:

<DGWC:GaugeContainer ID="GaugeContainer1"
runat="server">...</DGWC:GaugeContainer>

The Dundas Gauge assembly is referenced correctly:

<%@ Register Assembly="DundasWebGauge"
Namespace="Dundas.Gauges.WebControl" TagPrefix="DGWC" %>

The CodeFile (Default.aspx.py) contains some simple functions, but the
one that throws an error is part of the Page_Load function:

def Page_Load(sender,e):
     if not IsPostBack:
         gauge = GaugeContainer1
         gauge.Callback += GaugeContainer1_Callback

The third line (gauge = GaugeContainer1) results in the following parse
error:

*Parser Error Message: *cannot access protected member GaugeContainer1
without a python subclass of default_aspx

Any ideas what is causing this error?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

Kind regards, Kurt