[IronPython] Question about CriticalFinalizerObject usage.

Charles Strahan charles.c.strahan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 06:11:09 CEST 2010

Hello,

I'm about to begin work on implementing the FFI
gem<http://rubygems.org/gems/ffi>for IronRuby, and I was referred to
IronPython's CTypes for inspiration. I
noticed that the MemoryHolder inherits from CriticalFinalizerObject, and I
was curious why that is. I'm actually not familiar with Constrained
Execution Regions in general, so a quick high level description would be
awesome. I've briefly looked at the following MSDN docs, but they're a
little too fine-grained for me to follow:

CriticalFinalizerObject Class:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.runtime.constrainedexecution.criticalfinalizerobject.aspx
System.Runtime.ConstrainedExecution Namespace:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.runtime.constrainedexecution.aspx
Constrained Execution Regions:
Reliability Best Practices:

Any help in understanding the purpose of CriticalFinalizerObject and why it
is used as the base class for MemoryHolder would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
-Charles