[IronPython] Debian bug #516396

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Thu Mar 11 03:57:21 CET 2010

C.J. wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> When running the ipy REPL on Debian from bash, ^Z suspends the current
> process, so using "^Z enter" doesn't work as a quit key sequence.
> Where should I start poking to put a check for host shell and set the
> appropriate key sequence (^D)?

Does ^D not work at all?  Does it work w/ the -X:TabCompletion option?

In -X:TabCompletion mode we have code specifically to check if we're on
Unix and if so we recognize Ctrl-D instead of Ctrl-Z.  This code is in
SuperConsole.cs if you want to step through in case that's not working.
I hope it is though because we closed a bug on this on our side after we
put this code in! :)

Otherwise w/o that option we're just calling Console.In.ReadLine().  On
Windows this returns NULL when you type Ctrl-Z because it's the EOF.  I
would say if this should return null when you type Ctrl-D on Linux then
Mono should support this behavior (unless there's some reason why this
doesn't make sense and then we should discuss).  If you wanted to try
and step through this it's in BasicConsole.cs.