[IronPython] Developing Silverlight apps using IronPython -- best strategies

Lukas Cenovsky cenovsky at bakalari.cz
Wed Jul 7 20:53:26 CEST 2010

  On 2.7.2010 20:02, Jan-Philip Gehrcke wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I'm totally new to Silverlight (SL) development and it seems that I
> can benefit from my Python experience by combining SL with IronPython
> (at which I've never looked before, too). In the last days, I crawled
> the web and tried to get an impression of what is the best way to
> start. During this time, some questions came up...
>
> 1) What is the cutting-edge way to deploy an SL4/IP2.6 application?
> I've basically seen two:
>     - The "all-in-xap-way", with the python application and assemblies
> as well as the XAML in the xap file, as it is described in the article
> series at
> http://www.voidspace.org.uk/ironpython/silverlight/silverlight_application.shtml
>     - The "Gestalt way", with some magic inside, allowing to place
> XAML/Python code directly in the HTML
> Is the first way out-of-date? Are there more techniques? What are
> advantages/disadvantages?

If you want to use "all-in-xap-way" with some .dlls served (and cached)
separately, see my blog:
http://gui-at.blogspot.com/2010/05/distributing-silverlight-application.html

> 4) Code compilation: Is it possible to develop using IP, but to only
> deploy compiled binaries?
> I've stumbled over Pyc. How to use it within the best approach of
> question (1)? My naive mind sees two possible advantages:
>     - Could this be a solution to the traffic problem in question (2),
> i.e. would this do without IP assembly provisioning?
>     - For some developers it could be attractive for code obfuscation.
> I have the feeling that things are not that easy...

There were some promises about compilation... If you want it, vote for
http://ironpython.codeplex.com/workitem/25680

--
-- Lukas