[IronPython] ironpython window in Microsoft Office Application

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 1 19:20:59 CEST 2010

David Jensen:
> Can an IronPython interpreter window be placed in an office application, such
> as Outlook 2007? Outlook 2007 is quite customizable. The forms can be
> modified. An IronPython interpreter window would be more useful than VBA,
> since VBA is not interactive (I have not used it much). I have  VS 2008
> Professional. Can this be used? Can the IP window be put in without it? I am
> sure I run IP or CP outside of office using com objects.

This can be done but you'll need to implement the REPL window or find an
existing one out there.  There are plenty of WPF based REPL windows which have
been developed (in particular for Silverlight) so you might be able to borrow
the code from there.  Once you do that you just need to put pieces of the Office
object model in a ScriptScope so that the scripts can access them.