[IronPython] Curious about the development cycle and community involvement

David DiCato ddicato at microsoft.com
Tue Oct 13 11:04:38 CEST 2009

Very cool - it's always fulfilling for us to see this level of enthusiasm from our users. Unfortunately, the legal barriers to our accepting external contributions are still very much there, as explained in the FAQ (http://ironpython.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?title=FAQ). As for the CodePlex Foundation, my (limited) understanding is that it could only help the situation, but the organization is brand-new, and we'll have to wait for it to become more established. If you'd like more specific legal information, I'd be happy to relay your questions to the right people.

In the meantime, simply reporting issues you're having with IronPython is one of the best ways to help us improve it. I saw the issue you referenced in [3], and I'm curious if you've run into any other problems through the course of your development. In general, we assign a higher priority to bugs that block a specific application, so you can still push the project forwards without actually writing the patches yourself.

Finally, regarding our dev cycle, I'll refer you to our IronPython 2.6 Roadmap (http://ironpython.codeplex.com/Wiki/View.aspx?title=2.6%20Release%20Plan) for our scheduling estimates. The only caveat here is that we are also doing a RC 2 release, which will push back the final release date accordingly.

- David