[IronPython] IronPython 3

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Oct 5 13:14:17 CEST 2009

Hey all,

I have an idea for how I'd like to see IronPython 3 developed, not sure
how much extra work it would be but it would be very cool...

I'd love to see IronPython 3 as a separate DLR language that could be
used alongside IronPython 2.X. That way an IronPython 2 engine could use
IronPython 3 engines and vice versa. This would allow Python 3 apps to
use Python 2 libraries (with a wrapper layer) and vice-versa, and be
unique in the Python world (well the Jython guys could do it as well).

I guess there are two ways of doing it. Either provide a single
implementation where Python engines can be created as 2.X engines or 3.X
engines. I imagine this would be fairly painful to do. Alternatively
provide a separate set of assemblies for Python 3 - IronPython3.dll,
IronPython3.Modules.dll etc. so that projects can reference *both* as
separate dlr languages - I imagine this might make sharing code between
the implementations a bit 'fiddly'.

It would however make the transition from IronPython 2 to IronPython 3 a
lot less painful.

All the best,

Michael

--