[IronPython] Iron Python NewB questions . . .

Frank Merrow fmerrow at qualcomm.com
Mon Nov 2 21:27:33 CET 2009

>There's a couple of ways to do this.  You can define an interface or base
>class on the C# side and implement it on the Python side.  Then you can
>cast the Python object to the interface or base class and use it that way.

Well . . . I was not able to "cast" this into anything . . . they are
very different interfaces.

I eventually started looking at the module pyc.py output in the
Object Browser and trying to use it . . . not much information on the
Internet for DLRCachedCode . . . and what does exist is . . . well
over my head.  Reminds me of the old days trying to call a DCOM
object from C++ . . . was ugly, ugly code . . . this looks similar .
. . and in the face of the much nicer option below, in true Monte
Python style I decided to "run away".

>Also w/ .NET 4.0 C# is getting the new static type "dynamic" which can
>be used for interoperating with Python and other objects which respond
>dynamically.  VB.NET, while already having dynamic support, also gets
>updated so that it can consume IronPython and IronRuby objects.

Yeah, docs for this look MUCH NICER . . . I'm downloading the Beta's
now to give this a try.

If this works . . . I'll hang my hat on VS2010 and .NET 4.0 and hope
I've never forced to look back.

Thanks for the info.

Frank