[IronPython] can anyone help me with COM access in ironpython?

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Sat May 16 01:34:50 CEST 2009

[note my knowledge of this area is fuzzy at best but this is my understanding.  Maybe someone from the team can explain this better or give more accurate information if I get anything wrong].

The reason why these are so different is to date IronPython has basically gotten it's COM interop support "for free" from one of two locations:

1)      The CLR providing interop assemblies to talk to COM objects (in 1.x)

2)      DLR IDispatch support in IronPython 2.0

In 2.0 there's a command line option which gives you a hybrid of these options: -X:PreferComInteropAssembly.

Ok, so that gives us two different modes...    In 1.x, or when you use this option, you generally get the normal .NET COM interop - so if you want documentation on it you can go and look at normal .NET COM interop docs.

In mode 2 we're using the DLR which is directly talking to COM objects which implement IDispatch.  This is like class VB or VBA COM interop.  It's a little bit more limited in what it can do because the objects need to implement IDispatch.  So again if you wanted documentation you'd generally look at how to use these objects from classic VB/VBA and just follow those instructions.

Obviously we weren't very confident about the DLR IDispatch support when we shipped 2.0 which is the reason why we added the -X:PreferComInteropAssembly command line option.  The DLR team has spent more time improving the COM interop support and validating that it's compatible w/ old VB/VBA semantics since then and we're more confident that it'll be quite usable for 2.6.   But neither option is really designed to be code compatible w/ pywin32.

This is something we could certainly push on in the future and I'd encourage you to open a bug on IronPython.CodePlex.com (and others to vote on it) if COM compat w/ CPython is important.