[IronPython] FePy status update

Seo Sanghyeon sanxiyn at gmail.com
Sat May 9 12:04:39 CEST 2009

FePy seems to be dead, right? Sorry about that. This is a brief status
update. And I could use it later as a changelog. How convinient.

1. I am now testing IronPython with CPython 2.6 standard library. FePy
used 2.4 so far. Be sure to check collections.py issue Dave mentions
here:
http://knowbody.livejournal.com/13271.html

2. NAnt build system has been updated to the latest source layout
change. My goal still is to do away with NAnt and improve Mono's
implementation of MSBuild to build IronPython out of the box, but that
hasn't progressed a bit, sorry. Dave wrote about the source layout
change here:
http://knowbody.livejournal.com/13980.html

3. ExtensionAttribute problem mentioned in the last December is gone.
Mono bug on reference equality with generic constraints mentioned in
March is still there. FePy trunk patches/latest has a workaround for
this. Net result is that latest IronPython source drops from CodePlex
compiles and runs with Mono! And no compiler warnings! (This has been
my pet peeve, you know.) And I had no problem keeping it that way for
some time. I updated "IronPython on Mono reports" page with relevant
mails.
http://fepy.sourceforge.net/doc/ironpython-mono-report.html

4. There is an IronPython bug that manifests only on Mono due to
newline difference. The symptom is that expressions are not printed in
interactive console. This took some time to debug, but there is a fix
now.
http://lists.ironpython.com/pipermail/users-ironpython.com/2009-April/010140.html

5. Current build on my local system generally works. It imports urllib
and urllib2. This is quite a stress test... Not just import, but
downloading webpages work too. On the other hand, importing decimal
crashes Mono in segmentation fault! I suspect this has to do with move
to 2.6 standard library and its abstract base classes meta
machineries, but who knows.

--
Seo Sanghyeon