[IronPython] Need for third-party embeddable Iron Python Editor

Douglas S. Blank dblank at brynmawr.edu
Thu Jun 11 21:32:38 CEST 2009

Marty,

You'll find a few little projects that revolve around a DLR editor,
including:

1) http://www.codeplex.com/IronEditor - last edited Jul 2008
2) http://codeplex.com/DlrPad - last edited Nov 2007

There were a group of us, largely from this mailing list, who discussed
  issues for such an editor/shell combo in Aug 2008. Notes available here:

http://wiki.roboteducation.org/IDE_Specs

 From that discussion, I have been working on a cross-platform (Mono on
Linux/Mac, .NET on Windows), cross-language (currently Ruby and Python)
IDE for education, called Pyjama:

http://wiki.roboteducation.org/Pyjama

It is now in a pre-alpha state, and may not be at all what you are
looking for. Some points about Pyjama:

1) Can be built and run from Visual Studio (including Express) and
through Make files (on Mac and Linux)

2) Does not (yet) support some things that developers love (such as code
completion). As a IDE for beginners, this isn't necessarily a focus of
ours, but could probably be added.

3) As this is cross-platform, we have avoided P/Invokes. That means that
it can be (currently) sluggish doing some things like color syntax
highlighting on code.

4) Languages share a common environment, which allows them to share code
and data. The shell code can be run in its own thread, or in the same
thread as the IDE.

5) The current code is a hodge-podge of open source projects, and needs
some serious refactoring. However, most everything sorta works on all
platforms.

6) We had to do some tricky, crazy things to work around
bugs/issues/incompatibilities between/in Mono and .NET. We expect that
this will get better over time.

7) Many things are currently hardcoded (such as the languages). We image
that DLR language will be able to be added by simply dropping in the
DLLs in a folder.

If anyone would like to contribute to our effort (with code, comments,
feedback, etc) please feel free to join us! We imagine this to be a
long-term effort with sponsorship from grants and other funding
agencies. We have a codeplex Issue Tracker:

http://pyjama.codeplex.com/WorkItem/List.aspx

Hope this info helps!

-Doug