[IronPython] [Code Review] "XAP-less" Silverlight application support

Jimmy Schementi Jimmy.Schementi at microsoft.com
Wed Jul 22 05:50:35 CEST 2009

"That project" is online now: http://visitmix.com/labs/gestalt/

And here's my take: http://blog.jimmy.schementi.com/2009/07/gestalt-ruby-and-python-in-browser.html
From: Jimmy Schementi
Sent: Tuesday, July 21, 2009 4:21 AM
To: Discussion of IronPython
Cc: ironruby-core at rubyforge.org
Subject: RE: [IronPython] [Code Review] "XAP-less" Silverlight application support

Michael,

You just had to ask now =P ... I was going to blog about this more extensively tomorrow, but here's a preview of my thinking about this:

My motivation behind xap-less is to make DLR Silverlight apps less complex, and more like how the web works. This change is just an experiment in that direction, and I'm very open to any opinions folks have about this.

First things first though, this change make xap-less completely opt-in ... you have to use the "downloadScripts=true" InitParams setting to enable it. Without this param it will behave as it used to. Also, even with this setting it will not download the file if it exists in the XAP. I was very conservative about this change, as I'm just playing around with some ideas.

Also, even if xap-less becomes the default, I'd make sure existing deployments did not break; in the xap will always be an option for deployment (and quite possibly the preferred way), but I want to get back to the place where we didn't need a XAP file and didn't need Chiron for development.

Eh, I know that was the messaging around XAP files being compressed and faster for download times, but that's because they were synchronously downloaded and the browser can only handle one of those at once. If you use gzip-compression on your web-server and download each file asynchronously, I don't think you'll see much of a difference. However, "minifying" Ruby or Python like most JavaScript is really not possible, so people could always opt for a XAP file. But I really want to give back the text-only experience, even for deployment. There are still good ways to support asynchronous downloading of files that get imported (I'll talk about that below), so we should still explore those ... especially since this is the way browsers work today.

Imagine if Ruby and Python in the browser felt not that much different than JavaScript, but allow for other deployment options if the app needs it. For example, a Python Silverlight Hello World app should just be this:

<!-- index.html -->
<script type="text/javascript" src="silverlight-dlr.js"></script>
<script type="application/python">
document.message.innerHTML = "Hello, World!"
</script>

Very simple and clean. No need to start a web-server or install Mono on the Mac just to make a client-side page. The JS file hosts Silverlight, and then Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight scans the HTML page looking for <script> tags, executing them as they are encountered. Pre-packaged xap files are there so a basic app would never need to touch the XAP. There is a project being released today on http://visitmix.com/Lab which implements SL Ruby and Python apps just like this, with the intention that the ideas about making things simpler are merged back into Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight. I'll send out links when it's live, but hopefully you'll just hear about it. =)

FWIW, I'd leave the "entryPoint" activation in there as well, so only if you didn't set entryPoint OR didn't have a valid entry point in the XAP then we'd look at the HTML page for <script> tags ... we can deprecate it if enough people stop using entryPoint. Also, it's a little strange to take a bunch of python islands and assume it's one module. Should those islands be their own modules? Also, I know there might be some standards issues with doing a <script type=""> when it's not a list of approved types. We'll have to make sure this is done in a standards-compliant way, as I'd love to see browsers support this out of the box (ha, yeah, sounds crazy I know), and this work should be a stepping stone to that. I've already reviewed the visitmix.com/Lab project and there are some standards issues that I'll blog about tomorrow, so please don't get caught up on a prototype or proposal, just imagine what things could be like. =P

This scales to bringing in other files too, as you can use <script type="application/python" src="foo.py" />. Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight would scan the HTML file for <script> tags with the src attribute, and download the files ahead of time. But what happens if those files "import" something? The visitmix project I was referring to does not handle this case, since it's just a prototype of how browsers could support multiple languages. But we'd need to support this. And this is where it could look back the XAP. So if we ever did take away entryPoint then you'd activate your apps by just doing this:

<script type="application/python">
  import app
</script>

If an import failed against the XAP, it could look on the web-server. Though today's implementation is synchronous, that needs to change. So the guidance would be to either to put those files in the XAP, or allow the app-author to specify their dependencies up-front (like JavaScript does, it could even be with <script> tags also) so those files could be downloaded and import would just run the contents of the pre-downloaded files. Unfortunately, even if we could do import asynchronously (by making import/require/etc continuation-aware), the downloads would still happen one at a time, which is unacceptable for deployment. So it's either the up-front-list or in the XAP.

WRT sharing IronPython assemblies between apps, that change was kinda silently checked in around SL3 RTW since I wanted to test things a bit more, and find a place to host the packages. Documentation will pop up on the IronPython codeplex site in a few weeks about how this all works. And the way you host your apps should still be caching it, but you'll see a download request (in Firebug for example). Are you sure they are being fully downloaded each time? Maybe the AppManifest.xaml downloading is forcing a download each time, but I remember it going to the browser cache.

I know that was kinda long winded, but I'm pretty happy about fixing a lot of the ugliness we had to add from SL1.1 to SL2, while keeping the deployment benefits SL2 had, even if they are in a different form. Today's model is too complicated for people coming from JavaScript to get started, so lowering the bar to the <script> tag level may get the attention of more developers. Let me know if anyone has more questions about this.

~js