[IronPython] Redirecting stdout/stderr, but with context

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sat Jan 31 13:58:48 CET 2009

Jeff Slutter wrote:
> I have a bit of a problem that I'm not sure how to solve. In my
> application, I have multiple documents, and each can possibly be
> performing script operations that print text out via the "print"
> function. I have one "script output" window, which, only shows the
> output of whichever is the active document's script (each document has
> its own ScriptScope).
>
> When you switch the active document, the "script output window"
> refreshes displaying the stdout/stderr text for its script. For each
> document, I keep a buffer of the text.
>
> I redirected stdout/stderr by setting sys.stdout and sys.stderr to an
> instance of a class I wrote that has the "write" function in it. The
> problem is, sys.stdout is shared across all of the scopes. So, when I
> set it for one scope, it changes for all ScriptScopes.

We solve this problem by using separate engines. That way we can set the
output / error streams separately per engine (runtime actually I think).

The engines also share less state this way - which may or may not be
what you want.

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/blog