[IronPython] Printing an object out as a string

Jeff Slutter jslutter at reactorzero.com
Wed Jan 28 04:52:57 CET 2009

Given an object, how can I go about printing out that object as a string
representing the object in Python syntax?

I need something a little more powerful than just object.ToString()

I need something like how the interactive console reports the result of
the statement.

For instance:

a = [0,1,2]
b = [a,8,9]

If I pass 'b' to a function in C#, like:

void SomeFunction( object obj )
{
   string objStr = ConvertToString( obj );
   Console.Write( objStr );
}

it would print out:
[[0,1,2],8,9]

Obviously ToString() will work for simple things, but once I try to use
lists or dictionaries it no longer works.

Thank you,
Jeff