[IronPython] DLR Languages?

Douglas S. Blank dblank at brynmawr.edu
Thu Jan 8 17:36:37 CET 2009

Curt Hagenlocher wrote:
> Here's what I know:
>
> 1. I've heard that Don Syme has been thinking about DLR integration for
> F#, but nothing has been announced.
> 2. According to http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vjsharp/default.aspx, J#
> is "retired" so I don't think you can expect any further versions.
> 3. There aren't any firm plans yet for the future of Javascript on the DLR.
> 4. In Visual Studio 2010, VB.NET <http://VB.NET> will have the same
> level of support for the DLR as C#.

Curt,

Thanks for the feedback... this is very useful. Can you elaborate on
what you mean regarding "same level of support for the DLR as C#"? Does
that mean that VB won't be a dynamic language, but can use the DLR (eg,
to host other languages)?

Also, it seems that a language that looked similar to C# or Java (or VB
for that matter) could be implemented fairly straightforwardly using the
DLR tools. Does anyone know of a project like that (that doesn't need to
implement all of Java/C#/VB but just the main syntax/semantics)? Any big
hang-ups in implementing such a (made-up) language?

-Doug