[IronPython] LINQ from IronPython

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 00:40:23 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Keith J. Farmer <kfarmer at thuban.org> wrote:
> Rewrites to use extensions methods need to happen with knowledge of what extensions are available at that instant, and should defer to what's defined on the object in question when possible.  Unless carried in the AST, this knowledge wouldn't likely be available to non-DLR environment, so probably best done by the DLR itself, neh?

For the given case (LINQ), it should absolutely be part of the DLR (or
IronPython, wherever it fits best).

I'm speculating about what it would be like if we could rewrite *any*
part of the DLR tree. Any such hypothetical method would have to be
closely tied to the DLR, yes, but I *think* that a CodeContext could
carry that information.

Whether that's a good idea or not is up for debate.

- Jeff