[IronPython] [ANN]: IronPython 2.6 final

Giles Thomas giles.thomas at resolversystems.com
Mon Dec 14 13:08:38 CET 2009

Congratulations!

We have a release of Resolver One based on IronPython 2.6 that is almost
ready to go, and hope to get that into beta shortly.

Dino Viehland wrote:

> Hello Python Community,
>
> We're proud to announce the release of IronPython 2.6 final.  This is
> a major release with improvements across all areas of IronPython and
> can be downloaded from
> http://ironpython.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=12482.
> Significant changes include:
>
> ·         Updating the language and standard library to match CPython 2.6
>
> ·         Improved .NET integration
>
> ·         Updating to the latest version of the DLR
>
> ·         Adding previously missing CPython features and fixing bugs
>
> ·         Performance improvements in particular startup time improvements
>
> Python 2.6 support includes a large number of new features which
> include support for the new bytes and byte array types (PEP 3112
> <http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3112/>), decorators for classes
> (PEP 3129 <http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3129/>), advanced string
> formatting (PEP 3101 <http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3101/>) which
> will feel familiar to .NET users and integrates nicely with
> IFormattable, print as a function (PEP 3105
> <http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3105/>), Abstract Base Classes
> (PEP 3119 <http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3119/>), support for
> binary literals, along with lots of other minor features and changes.
>
> IronPython also continues to improve .NET integration in this
> release.  We've added the __clrtype__ method
> <http://ironpython.net/ironpython/documentation/dotnet/dotnet.html#clrtype>
> to types which enables deep integration via meta-classes with the .NET
> type system.  There are also a number of smaller changes such as
> supporting IDisposable in for loops
> <http://ironpython.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=24503>
> matching the behavior of other .NET languages.  This release also
> includes the latest version of the DLR and fixes a number of issues
> related to cross-language dynamic interop.  Not to be left out there's
> improvements in Silverlight integration by supporting Python code in
> HTML script tags <http://ironpython.net/browser/sl-back-to-just-text.pdf>.
>
> We've also continued to improve Python compatibility by adding missing
> features and fixing bugs.  In this release we've added support for the
> ctypes <http://docs.python.org/library/ctypes.html> module which
> provides interop with native code in a compatible way across Python
> implementations.  We've also implemented sys.settrace to provide
> support for the pdb <http://docs.python.org/library/pdb.html> module
> and other Python debuggers.  This release also changes how we support
> sys._getframe: a fully working version is now available by a command
> line option;  when not enabled sys._getframe doesn't exist at all.
> This release also fixes over 400 bugs removing a large number of
> smaller incompatibilities.
>
> As always we've also continued to improve performance, and this
> release primarily focuses on improving startup time.  The IronPython
> [...]

Giles Thomas
giles.thomas at resolversystems.com
+44 (0) 20 7253 6372

17a Clerkenwell Road, London EC1M 5RD, UK
VAT No.: GB 893 5643 79
Registered in England and Wales as company number 5467329.
Registered address: 843 Finchley Road, London NW11 8NA, UK