[IronPython] assembly versioning in scripts

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Apr 21 00:12:11 CEST 2009

Marty Nelson wrote:

> One of our developers asked me this question today, I don’t have an
> answer, so any help would be appreciated:
>
> We came across an issue while testing the NuGenesis extension related
> to assembly versioning in scripts. The extension has a custom
> assembly, which is called by script:
>
> a = AssemblyCache.GetAssembly("Symyx.SDMS.NuGenesis.SN6,
> Version=1.2.3.4, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e5750cf9faec8249")
>
> clr.AddReference(a)
>
> from Symyx.SDMS.NuGenesis.SN6 import *
>
> We are adding reference to a version-specific assembly, and then we
> import from a namespace inside the assembly.
>
> We have two document templates - each of them calls a different
> version of the extension assembly from the script. After opening both
> templates within the same Notebook session, both versions of the
> assembly are in memory, and at this point the *import* call seems to
> import the version that was loaded the last time (as opposed to the
> one we reference by version in the script). Is there a way around this?

Instead of using imports could you fetch the classes you need (etc) from
the assembly objects? Namespaces are normally available as attributes on
the assembly objects from within IronPython.

After doing clr.AddReference the assembly just loaded is usually the
last in clr.References - alternatively you can load them directly with
Assembly.Load.

HTH

Michael

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/