[IronPython] IronPython and Silverlight SDK

Jimmy Schementi Jimmy.Schementi at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 19 20:23:19 CEST 2008

You can ... just not on the desktop, since they are Silverlight builds and are linked against coreclr, mscorlib, and all the other assemblies that are part of Silverlight. Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight.dll hosts the DLR to run .py, .rb, .js files in the browser.

> I guess there will be a point in time, where those libraries will be
> the same no matter which distribution one will take?

The problem is the version of the DLR is different everywhere we ship it; python, ruby, and sdlsdk. These will definitely unify in the future, when the DLR is more static to us, and especially when it's part of the .NET Framework. We're also trying to get daily builds of all languages out to the public, so getting a set of binaries that all share the same DLR won't be such a pain.

If you want today, you can hack up the project files in the sdlsdk, changing all the references to Silverlight assemblies to Desktop assemblies, and then you can produce builds of the DLR, Ruby, and Python for the desktop that all work together.