[IronPython] Beta 4 or build from source?

Dan Eloff dan.eloff at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 19:07:21 CEST 2008

Hi All,

Well the time has come again to upgrade to a newer version of
IronPython. I'm tempted to try one of the source code drops instead of
Beta 4,is there any reason I shouldn't use this morning's drop?

I'm happy to see that the performance of IronPython has been improving
constantly. Performance is key, I've upgraded my development PC twice,
and am running at a 20% overclock just to keep the edit, refresh,
debug cycles down to a reasonable amount of time. A large Silverlight
project takes a while to load in the browser :(

Incidentally bugs in psycopg2 drove me to create a ctypes client
library for PostgreSQL. This was my last remaining C library on the
backend, so I'm no longer tied to CPython. I eventually (early next
year) intend to compare IronPython on Mono to CPython 2.5 for running
the backend server, and choose the fastest of the two for final
testing and deployment. I expect I'll be pleasantly surprised by
IronPython.

-Dan