[IronPython] Missing Merlin\Main\Hosts\Silverlight\SilverlightVersion.cs

Jimmy Schementi Jimmy.Schementi at microsoft.com
Sun May 4 02:13:47 CEST 2008

On 5/3/08 4:48 PM, "Michael Foord" <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> Jimmy Schementi wrote:
>> On 5/3/08 4:28 PM, "Dan Eloff" <dan.eloff at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Right now this doesn't bother me much, because I know Silverlight beta
>>> 2 is probably coming in May, and it will no doubt bundle IPY beta 2 or
>>> better.
>>>

>> The IronPython version in current Silverlight builds is pretty much the same
>> as IronPython Beta2, and we're only going to be moving targeted bugs fixes
>> into SL from now until SL Beta2 ships.
>>

>>> However, Silverlight RTM won't come out until late summer, and
>>> Silverlight 3 could be a long time from now. I have no doubt I'll be
>>> wishing I could use the newer version of IronPython with the released
>>> version of Silverlight along the line, but I don't see any easy way
>>> for you folks to deal with this.
>>>

>> We're going to have to make this happen one way or another. After SL2 ships,
>> we'll most likely keep stuff working on SL2. The synchronization with
>> Silverlight is simply so we can keep stuff working while the platform
>> underneath us moves. Once it stabilizes we can then rev on top of it.
>>

> Will there be no updated release of Dynamic Silverlight before
> Silverlight beta 2?

In the next couple days I'm updating Dynamic Silverlight to include Managed
JScript (finally), but I'm not planning on revving the
IronPython/IronRuby/DLR bits. It's less than a month before SL Beta2 is
released, which is why no updated release between Beta1 and Beta2 seemed to
make sense. Agree?

To be honest though, this might be really easy to do. If you download
Dynamic Silverlight from http://codeplex.com/sdlsdk, replace the IronPython
and DLR source with the IronPython Beta2 source, the only build breaks will
probably be in Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight (mostly DLR API changes). If
anyone wants to give it a shot, let me know. If you get it working (runs all
the current Beta1 IronPython/IronRuby samples), feel free to send it my way.
If we have time we can run our tests over it, and if all is green I'll put
it up on codeplex (with additional credits, of course).

~js