[IronPython] Silverlight 2 and app.xap layout

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Mon Mar 10 02:02:27 CET 2008

Hello all,

An issue with chiron and the directory layout you need to create an
'app.xap'.

(Note - I am doing this on a machine without the SDK or Visual Studio
installed so that I can test on a machine similar to the ones I will use
the Silverlight apps from.)

In order for chiron to serve an application from the filesystem you need
to create an
'app' subdirectory and place your Python files (etc) in this.

If you then run 'chiron /x:app.xap' on this folder it creates a zip file
with the same directory structure - but Silverlight is then *unable* to
use the resulting app.xap (it fails with a error message 'the
application must have an entry point app.*' - it is unable to find
app.py from the app subdirectory).

If you copy the files into a flat directory structure then chiron will
generate an app.xap that Silverlight can use - but chiron is *unable* to
serve the application from this folder *until* you
have generated app.xap.

This means that you cannot use the same folder layout for testing your
apps and for creating them...

Michael