[IronPython] Silverlight+IronPython: external DLLs

Jonathan Slenders jonathan at slenders.be
Mon Jun 16 19:02:54 CEST 2008

Hello, I'm working on dynamic generation of XAP files from XAML and Python
code.
The normal way is to pack them all in a single XAP file. The problem here is
that this files easily become a few MB and this is not reasonably when
you've -- say 10 -- of these silverlight controls on a webpage.
My current Manifest file looks like this:

<Deployment
                xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/client/2007/deployment"
                xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
                RuntimeVersion="%(version)s"
                EntryPointAssembly="Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight"

EntryPointType="Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight.DynamicApplication">
        <Deployment.Parts>
                <AssemblyPart Source="Microsoft.Scripting.dll" />
                <AssemblyPart Source="IronPython.dll" />
                <AssemblyPart Source="IronPython.Modules.dll" />
                <AssemblyPart Source="Microsoft.Scripting.Core.dll" />
                <AssemblyPart Name="Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight"
Source="Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight.dll" />
        </Deployment.Parts>
</Deployment>

And when I don't include the dll files in the XAP container, Silverlight
tries to download them from the server, it's URL path relative to the
current page.

Is it possible to set an absolute path where the Silverlight client can
download the DLL files?
And from the IronPython perspective, does it any harm to keep these DLLs out
of the XAP?

Thanks,
Jonathan