[IronPython] Iron Python debuggin using PythonEngine

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Thu Jun 5 21:00:25 CEST 2008

Locals in methods will just show up.  Unfortunately everything else is still rough :(.  Module globals won't be easy to get to - if it's possible at all, they're static fields off in a weirdly named type.  Inspecting classes requires drilling into their dictionary objects.  For IronPython 2.0 Haibo had a blog entry which improves this for old-style classes - http://blogs.msdn.com/haibo_luo/archive/2007/08/03/4210344.aspx and that can probably be adapted for 1.x if someone was so inclined.  For new-style classes you'll see the bases members as normal .NET members.  One way to improve the experience is through __slots__ - in 1.x you should see them show up directly as fields/properties on the object.  And again for all other attributes you'll have to look in the dictionary.  So lots of the info you want is there it just takes some digging.

I guess the good news is that we've recently been hiring partially to fill this void.  The plan is to look at VS integration for both IronPython and IronRuby and make sure it's a good end-to-end experience.