[IronPython] IronPython Post 2.0 Roadmap

Dody Gunawinata empirebuilder at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 09:56:02 CEST 2008

For me, the main strength of IronPython is its hosting API and the
simplicity of the Python language. It's pretty amazing on what combination
of C# and IronPython hosting API can do - we use it from running business
rules table, sending python command in a game project and powering our CMS.
In our next business project, we are planning to expose a bunch of
IronPython scripts to the administrator role. Yeah, it's a poor man's DSL,
but it's already there and you dont' have to spend time writing all the
crufts required to write a DSL.

So I'd much prefer a much stronger features in the hosting and ability to
interact with the rest of the .Net framework than supporting a new version
of the Python language.

Dody G.

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Dan Eloff <dan.eloff at gmail.com> wrote:

> > There is a fair possibility that the 'community' will prefer Python 2 for
> > several years (3-4 guesstimate).
> >
> > Michael
> >

> I would guess it will take less time for IronPython, because most of
> the libraries don't work in ipy anyway. There's fewer things to hold
> you back at the 2 level. If IronPython 3 were out right now, I'd use
> it. If CPython 3 were out right now, I wouldn't.
>
> -Dan

nomadlife.org