[IronPython] PyPy meets Jython (could meet IronPython too?)

Antonio Cuni anto.cuni at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 15:09:48 CEST 2008

Michael Foord wrote:

> It would be great to see this as a separate project (pyspec?) so that
> CPython, IronPython, PyPy and Jython developers can work on it.

yes, that was my idea when I proposed it.

> Of course for maximum platform compatibility it should be based on
> unittest...
>
> :-)

I guess there is no chance to get pypy involved in such a project
without using py.test :-).

> It would probably be more of a problem for *them* to depend on the PyPy
> ctypes implementation though. :-(

I don't know Microsoft policies, it would be a real pity if that would
not be possible because of vague legal issues.
But I think it would be possible to integrate it at least in fepy.

> Personally I think that a Python 2.5 implementation (IronPython 2) is
> incomplete without ctypes of course...

+1

Moreover, having a working ctypes for all the four major python
implementation would make it THE standard way to write extension
modules, and the whole community would benefit from this.

> Incidentally, it would probably be possible to implement _rawffi for
> IronPython in pure Python - building on the dynamic platform invoke work
> that Seo started for ctypes.

yes, but then I'm not sure about performances. Still, a slower ctypes is
much better than no ctypes :-).

ciao,
Anto