[IronPython] Roadmap for IronPython 2.0

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Tue Jan 15 20:16:18 CET 2008

We don't really have a document like this but the general goal is to ship IronPython 2.0 by the end of the year.  The goals for IronPython generally include CPython 2.5 compatibility and fully running on top of the DLR.  And of course we've already seen numerous improvements from IronPython 1.1 -> 2.0 and I expect to see a bunch more random improvements as we continue (e.g. bug fixes, performance, etc...).

For the DLR its self the plan is to ship a v1.0 around the same time as IronPython 2.0.  The goal for DLR v1.0 is to get great hosting support so that apps can consume multiple languages and languages can plug into the DLR and run inside of applications in a reasonable manner.

The really interesting question at this point for DLR v1.0 is how finalized the language implementer API will be.   We still have some work to know if that'll be finalized in time or if we'll be expecting some breaking changes in that area post DLR 1.0.