[IronPython] "Visual Studio Python Express" (was: Re: Newbie, feedback/question)

François Schnell francois.schnell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 23:13:43 CET 2008

On Jan 5, 2008 2:52 PM, Kamil Dworakowski <kamil at dworakowski.name> wrote:

> > Even if WxPython API is fine, it's been a long time I've been hoping
> > for a free "Visual Studio Python Express"-like, with a form designer
> > to quickly develop GUIs in particular.
>
> In WPF (includes silverlight) you can define forms using xaml (sth like
> defining a page in html). Have you tried it?

Yes, the clean separation between the 'GUI' markup language and the logic is
one of the main reason I'm interested in both WPF/Silverlight and Air/Flex.

In my opinion it is better
> than visual GUI designer.

I'm not sure of that for complex/rich GUIs.

According to the Chris Anderson book I'm reading "Essential Windows
Presentation Foundation"

Page 13:
"""
XAML was created to be a markup language that integrated well with the
CLRand provided for rich tools support. A secondary goal was to create
a markup
format that was easy to read and write. It may seem a little rude to design
a feature of the platform that is optimized first for tools, then for
humans, but the WPF team felt strongly that WPF applications would typically
be authored with the assistance of a visual design tool like Microsoft
Visual Studio of Microsoft Expression.
"""
(Great book BTW, Chris Anderson is one of the chief architects of WPF)

Anyway, the way I'd like to develop my GUI apps. is not really important.
What I'd like to see is a wide adoption of IronPython and I believe it won't
happen without a sort of "Visual Studio Python Express" ("free", maintained,
IDE with a GUI designer for winforms and WPF).

(more on this in my next mail)

François