[IronPython] Updated hosting spec

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Thu Jan 3 20:53:29 CET 2008

We've updated the hosting API spec for the DLR and uploaded it to: http://compilerlab.members.winisp.net/ (as DOC http://compilerlab.members.winisp.net/dlr-spec-hosting.doc or as PDF http://compilerlab.members.winisp.net/dlr-spec-hosting.pdf).

We've been working on updating the code to reflect the spec and you'll see some of that in IronPython 2.0 Alpha 7.  You'll continue to see new functionality in the future releases as well as our latest source code drops.  Currently I believe IronRuby may be more up-to-date then IronPython's CodePlex page which is a little out of date from the holidays but will be updated soon.  Our current status is that we have ScriptEngine, ScriptScope, ObjectOperations, and ScriptSource (but still named SourceUnit) fully implemented - although there are certainly some bugs still lurking.

Our current planning going forward is to work on replacing ScriptEnvironment w/ ScriptRuntime, switching to use MBRO objects instead of the interfaces we use today (completing the remoting story), and other small tweaks.  In February we'll be looking at finishing up the support for multiple engines in the same app domain, defining and implementing the full set of configuration/options, and general fit-and-finish work.

Once again we'd appreciate any feedback you have on the spec or the current implementation.  Thanks!