[IronPython] weird performance issue

Dino Viehland dinov at microsoft.com
Wed Dec 17 04:21:17 CET 2008

My guess would be that we're pushing the PythonContext._callSplatSite outside of the sweet spot in DLR site caches.

You could check this by putting a breakpoint in PythonContext.Call(object, params object[]).  Then look and see if _callSplatSite._rules is an instance of EmptyRuleSet<T> with _supportAdding == false.

If this is the cause it should be pretty easy to fix - property's should probably get their own call site object so it'll be specialized to the specific property (maybe we could share a common one of the function is a PythonFunction as these generate highly shareable calls between multiple function instances).  We're also doing a params call today which we could stop doing and get a nice perf boost on properties.