[IronPython] Informal Poll: measuring IronPython performance under x64 OSes

Dave Fugate dfugate at microsoft.com
Mon Aug 18 23:42:41 CEST 2008

Hi everyone, one of the things the IronPython test team does daily is run a set of standardized benchmarks against the latest internal build of IronPython.  We're in the process of reevaluating the platforms we measure these benchmarks on with the end goal of increasing the number of tests we can run.  For example, if we could cut x64 Vista from the list of platforms, the x64 Vista machine(s) could be reimaged to run new benchmarks we wouldn't have had the resources for before.  Alternatively, we might reimage the x64 Vista machine(s) as some other platform we don't currently test under.  Of course in such a scenario we'd still run other classifications of tests under x64 Vista.

I wanted to hear peoples' opinions on the importance of measuring IronPython performance under x64 Windows OSes before we make any decisions on this.  First off, how many people out there are actually running IronPython under a 64-bit OS?  Would it be sufficient for us to report news on IronPython performance in terms of 32-bit platforms?

Thanks,

The IronPython Team