[IronPython] speed of ip compiled

Keith J. Farmer kfarmer at thuban.org
Thu Aug 14 23:33:30 CEST 2008

Michael demonstrates a very good point:  if the question is "perf?", the only useful answer is "experiment!".

There are so many factors that go into it, down to the machine and the environment it presents, that it's generally quicker and more informative to write a simple program and take several measurements, than it is to try to speculate your way through it (obviously idiotic algorithms notwithstanding).  As Michael points out, the speed difference is also non-uniform across the API, so even an algorithm that improves perf on one platform may regress it in another.

It also follows, then, that you also should state the experimental conditions when you quote the numbers.