[IronPython] Roadmap and updates

Harry Pierson Harry.Pierson at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 6 10:16:59 CEST 2008

This was my original response to Max:

With regard to WinForms, my recent roadmap post was specifically talking to the integration of IPy into the WinForms designer, not into WinForms itself. You can write IPy 2.0 apps right now that use WinForms, you just have to do it by hand as of right now.

The technology that we're "cutting adrift" (to use your term) is the CodeDom parser that's used by the WinForms designer in the VSX sample. The CodeDom model assumes static typing, which obviously doesn't mesh well with IronPython. We end up doing some tricks to embed type information into the generated python code so we can recreate the types when we round trip between code and designer views. My understanding (Dino?) is that we built that code only for WinForms integration support, we're the only MS language that has a CodeDom parser, and the code is not something we're interested in maintaining in the long term.

However, while we have cut the CodeDom parser code, there are other ways of integrating into the WinForms designer. Neither VB nor C# use the CodeDom parser method today, even though obviously both are statically typed. I don't know what the other integration options are personally, but we will be investigating them so that when we ship our production quality VS integration for IPy, we will have WinForms designer support. I'm sorry if that wasn't clear in my blog post. As soon as we have a better idea on our WinForms integration strategy, we'll make sure to talk about it.

As for MS cutting the WinForms model loose, I think we're encouraging folks to move to WPF, but given the sheer amount of WinForms code out there I have a hard time imagining them cutting support for it.

Harry