[IronPython] Hosting IronPython in a Silverlight App

Jimmy Schementi Jimmy.Schementi at microsoft.com
Tue Sep 4 23:27:39 CEST 2007

Michael,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

When hosting IronPython in a normal C# app, the Hosting API makes some assumptions for that scenario and makes the hosting work "out of the box". Those assumptions are not all true in Silverlight, so a custom Platform Adaptation Layer (PAL) must be used.

I've attached a working version of your project to this email, and here's what it does different:

Before you create the Python Engine:

    ScriptEnvironmentSetup setup = new ScriptEnvironmentSetup(true);
    setup.PALType = typeof(SilverlightPAL);
    ScriptEnvironment.Create(setup);

This will override the default PAL the Silverlight PAL, which is defined here:

    // Definition of Silverlight Platform Adoption Layer:
    public class SilverlightPAL : PlatformAdaptationLayer
    {
        public override Assembly LoadAssembly(string name)
        {
            return Assembly.Load(LookupFullName(name));
        }

        private Dictionary<string, string> _assemblyFullNames = new Dictionary<string, string>();

        public SilverlightPAL()
        {
            LoadSilverlightAssemblyNameMapping();
        }

        // TODO: This will not be necessary as it will eventually move down into the host
        private void LoadSilverlightAssemblyNameMapping()
        {
            AssemblyName clrAssembly = new AssemblyName(typeof(object).Assembly.FullName);
            foreach (string asm in new string[] { "mscorlib", "System", "System.Core", "System.Xml.Core" })
            {
                clrAssembly.Name = asm;
                _assemblyFullNames.Add(asm.ToLower(), clrAssembly.FullName);
            }

            _assemblyFullNames.Add("system.silverlight", "System.SilverLight, Version=1.0.0.0, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a");
            _assemblyFullNames.Add("agclr", "agclr, Version=0.0.0.0, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a");
            _assemblyFullNames.Add("microsoft.visualbasic", "Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=8.1.0.0, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a");

            AssemblyName dlrAssembly = new AssemblyName(typeof(PlatformAdaptationLayer).Assembly.FullName);
            foreach (string asm in new string[] {
                "Microsoft.Scripting",
                "Microsoft.Scripting.Silverlight",
                "IronPython",
                "IronPython.Modules",
                "Microsoft.JScript.Compiler",
                "Microsoft.JScript.Runtime",
                "Microsoft.VisualBasic.Compiler",
                "Microsoft.VisualBasic.Scripting",
                "Ruby"})
            {
                dlrAssembly.Name = asm;
                _assemblyFullNames.Add(asm.ToLower(), dlrAssembly.FullName);
            }
        }

        protected string LookupFullName(string name)
        {
            AssemblyName asm = new AssemblyName(name);
            if (asm.Version != null || asm.GetPublicKeyToken() != null || asm.GetPublicKey() != null)
            {
                return name;
            }
            return _assemblyFullNames.ContainsKey(name.ToLower()) ? _assemblyFullNames[name.ToLower()] : name;
        }

    }

This allows for IronPython.Modules to be loaded by the host, which is the exception you were getting.

This is *a lot* to get IronPython hosted in Silverlight! This work was done for the DLR/Silverlight integration effort, however simple hosting in Silverlight shouldn't be this hard. I wouldn't be surprised if we decided to move this bit into the DLR host. =)

Let me know if you have any other questions,

~Jimmy