[IronPython] IronPython 2.0 Alpha 6

Dave Fugate dfugate at microsoft.com
Thu Nov 8 00:32:46 CET 2007

Hello IronPython Community,

We have just released IronPython 2.0 Alpha 6.  As per usual, this release includes all of the changes we have made in the past month.  The most noteworthy differences include:

*         the IronPython project is now distributed under the Microsoft Public License (Ms-PL)

*         improved support of COM events under the -X:PreferComDispatch flag

*         the abstract syntax tree for IronPython is being hardened so to speak

*         we have included an updated DLR sample in the source zip file - ToyScript
It's also worth mentioning that like last month, we've been spending a great deal of time looking into active CodePlex bugs.

As many people are already aware, the Open Source Initiative (OSI) approved the Microsoft Public License last month.  As a result the IronPython project has switched from using the "Microsoft Permissive License" to the "Microsoft Public License".  The only difference between this new license and the old one is the change in the name.  By making this minor change we're extremely happy to finally be able to clearly state that IronPython ships under an approved Open Source license!  The contents of the Ms-PL can currently be found at http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sharedsource/licensingbasics/publiclicense.mspx.  Finally, this change should be reflected on http://www.codeplex.com/IronPython/Project/License.aspx later this week.

ToyScript is a small scripting language written to serve as an example of how scripting languages can be implemented on the Dynamic Language Runtime.  ToyScript's sources should give anyone interested in creating language implementations a good idea of how the DLR can make your job easier.  It would be great if anyone creating language implementations could give us feedback on the sample and/or their experiences using the DLR.  It's worth pointing out that ToyScript is merely a DLR sample and not some new scripting language Microsoft has created.

You can download IronPython 2.0A6 at: https://www.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=IronPython&ReleaseId=7663

The IronPython Team

IMPORTANT NOTES
Internally we have migrated our Visual Studio project and solution files over to a Visual Studio 2008 beta release.  While we've modified these files in the source distribution of IronPython to be compatible with Visual Studio 2005 and the msbuild tool, it's possible we may have missed something.  If you experience any problems building IronPython from VS tools please let us know.

The ToyScript sample is not intended to be distributed with IronPython on a permanent basis and will likely be released in some other fashion in the not too distant future.