[IronPython] New language features to support VS

David.Lawler at franke.com David.Lawler at franke.com
Tue Nov 6 20:03:36 CET 2007

I noticed some unusual things in the python source recently while playing
with/learning about the IronPython integration in VS 2008 Beta 2:

"""type(_button1) == System.Windows.Forms.Button, type(_label1) ==
System.Windows.Forms.Label"""
__slots__ = ['_button1', '_label1']
@returns
@accepts

I understand what the __slots__ line and what the @returns & @accepts
decorators are about.  The type 'definition' in the docstring has me
thrown for a loss.  Is that a feature in IronPython (what the heck would
it be called) - or is it used only by VS for the forms designer?  I am
thinking it is actually a IronPython feature because it seems to make the
new alpha release of the Sharpdevelop IP binding designer a lot happier as
well as VS.  Is there somewhere (anywhere) where features like this are
documented (yes I looked at the ironpython-differences doc).  I also
looked through the source for IP (found the @returns and @accepts stuff),
and the source for the VS integration sample but could not decipher where
type definitions could be inside docstings/triple quoted strings.

Thanks,

David Lawler