[IronPython] [python] Re: Import decimal failure with Turkish Locale (IP 1.1)

Curt Hagenlocher curt at hagenlocher.org
Thu Nov 1 23:17:12 CET 2007

On 10/31/07, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:

> However - string literals in code should either be in ascii *or* in a
> declared encoding. Some way out of this situation would be nice...
> (Thinking subclasses of strings...)

The only place I know of that follows this kind of approach is SQL Server,
where all char fields are associated with a specific sort order.

The original code in Decimal is pretty crazy -- even without the newly
recognized dangers of the "upper" function.

To the best of my knowledge, Turkish is the only locale in which an
unaccented latin character has an upper-case value that's different from
what its uppercase value would be in en-US.

--
Curt Hagenlocher
curt at hagenlocher.org