[IronPython] Questions about IronPython re Forrester Survey

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Fri May 18 18:26:13 CEST 2007

For the decisions on what goes into releases...  For small issues and requests we track these on CodePlex and pick them largely based upon the number of votes.  For minor releases we also take into consideration how destabilizing the change will be.

Currently we don't support external contributions.   Typically there are 2-4 developers and 2-4 test developers.  Those numbers get bigger and fluctuate as you step back and look at the wider DLR work, more languages, and various tools and support that build on top of IronPython.  That makes it hard to give you an exact number as being a small team we do bounce around a bit.

Release plans are a little in flux now but let me just give you some historical data points.  During development v1.0 we typically shipped a new alpha/beta every 3 to 4 weeks.  We also uploaded the current source tree to our CodePlex site on a per-checkin basis.  We still have some infrastructure to get in place for the nightly source codes and some internal coordination around release cycles.  We went dark to do much of the initial work on v2.0 but now that v2.0 Alpha 1 has been released the plan is to get back into a similar pattern.  Major releases have been more about when they're ready.

Looking at v1.1 for the last release:  We had some on-going feature work that did not make the bar for v1.0 as it wasn't done in time and couldn't make it into betas, we did new feature work for the most popular features on CodePlex, and then we did a number of non-destabilizing targeted bug fixes for the most requested bugs on CodePlex.

I think Seo covered the Mono side.