[IronPython] Did you find any purpose to compile IronPython code to DLL using pyc.py

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri May 4 14:04:43 CEST 2007

Max Belugin wrote:
> I am trying to implement plugin for FarManager file manager using IronPython
>
> The plugin is the dll with a class implementing special interface.
>
> I haven't find a way to build such dll by pyc.py so I decide to write a wrapper
> (it is available from http://code.google.com/p/farnet/ )
> )
>
> But now is my question: can i decrease startup time using precompilation?
> Or how dll compilation is intended to be used?

We experimented with precompiling all of our code to see if it would
help with startup time. (Our application is around 20 000 lines of
Python code - most of which is imported at started.)

The results surprised us, out of a 50 second startup (which is too
long), precompiling saved us only six seconds. This was unfortunate, but
on the plus side it means that IronPython is pretty fast at parsing and
compiling Python code...

Precompiling also allows you to do 'binary-only' distributions, but that
isn't something we particularly need (at the moment...).

Michael Foord
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/ironpython/index.shtml