[IronPython] Multiple engine instances in IP 2.0 and beyond (was IronPython 2.0 Alpha 1 Released)

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Wed May 2 19:16:42 CEST 2007

Thanks for the info...  Darn, it sounds like you actually want sys to be isolated...

We're going to do a review over the hosting APIs internally next week.   That should result in the last large set of changes.  One thought that has occurred to me is the ability to provide management of the current sys instance.  This is where most of the state is tracked.  That would presumably be something like allowing you to create a new system state and provide the current system state at runtime.  You could then switch system states before running a new script code.  In the multi-threaded case you could store the system state in a thread local variable.  Therefore rather than tracking a set of engines you'd track a list of SystemState objects (or in DLR speak they may be some opaque state object).

The one interesting thing here is how this plays w/ console output.  In v2.0 that's separate from SystemState so you'd also need to update those at the same time.

Any feedback on that proposal?