[IronPython] Multiple engine instances in IP 2.0 and beyond (was IronPython 2.0 Alpha 1 Released)

Dino Viehland dinov at exchange.microsoft.com
Wed May 2 02:36:15 CEST 2007

I'm not actually the one working on the engine APIs so that's the reason I've tended to be vague.  I'll talk to the people doing it and let you know what I hear.

But the more info you can give us the better decision we'll be able to make.  For example what do you actually need to be isolated?  Do you need multiple system states so they get their own modules, console, etc...  do you need everything in sys isolated?  Do you need to guarantee the isolation even if .NET code is called (e.g. they could smuggled data via a static field).  If they do need some rather high level of isolation are app domains good enough?  Do you need to marshal a lot of data in/out?  Or is the effort to spin up and use app domains correctly?

Ultimately understanding the scenarios where this is being used might end up with us coming up with an even better solution.

The reasons why I ask that is because there are already many options on isolation depending upon what you're trying to do.  For example in the dynamic language support for ASP.NET we're executing the same code in multiple modules.  That gives each thread it's own set of globals but could allow sharing through system state.  It also means that the different requests get to share imported modules.  That's not much isolation but it could be enough for a lot of scenarios.  On the other extreme is full app domain isolation.

The more info we get here the more likely we'll capture the right result.  The real challenge here is it's actually impossible for us to offer full isolation w/o going to app domain isolation.  So anything we create will be less;  for example Michael Foord noted that the recursion enforcement is a global setting and it's hard to not make that global.  So we just need to figure out the right "less" that is both useful, maintainable, and understandable.